Tuesday, February 02, 2016

In Search of Sam Carter

Ol' Sam Carter was on my mind as dosed off to sleep. I was thinking he lived through some incredible times. He was born before the American Revolution, lived through it and got a front row seat to the run up to the Civl War. I went looking for him again after discovering him about six months ago. I found him in the 1860 Loudoun County, Virginia census at the respectable age of 101. They had records for him and the family at the Thomas Balch Library in Leesburg, Virginia. He would have been 81 in the 1840 Virginia Census. They didn't keep specific ages in the census schedules until the 1850 Census; so the 81 years is an educated guess because, well 1860 he was 101 minus 20 is 81. I went back to that 1840 census to find Sam's name again. Right below Sam is a man named Joseph Carter. I am willing to bet that Sam and Joseph are brothers. They are both enumerated as "Free Persons of Color" and genealogist say when they are that close with the same surname they are probably related. I wish I knew Sam and Joe's parents names. Someone sent me minutes from a Quaker Meeting in Maryland. That's where the 1860 Loudoun County, Virginia Census says Sam was born. I hope this is the Sam which for I am looking.
courtesy Ancestry.com Year 1840; Census Place: Jonah Hood, Loudoun, Virginia: Roll 564; Page 171; Image 402: Family History Library 0029688

Publisher Ancestry.com Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixth Census of the United States, 1840. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1840. M704, 580 rolls.: United States of America

No comments: