Wednesday, June 24, 2020

My Aunt Edith

Aunt Edith, I found you!


I was starting to worry. I was wondering if the family had ever put an obituary for Aunt Edith in the newspaper. I tried every name under the Sun for Aunt Edith. In the 1930 U.S. Census she lived near a gentleman by the name of Davis. I found a marriage record between Davis and Aunt Edith.

Naturally, I looked for Davis as the surname I might find an obituary for her. I have been trying to find her since the mid-2000s. I have lost so much sleep looking for and wondering what happened to her.

Today, I decided to look for an article pertaining to my grandfather. Guess what I found? I had to find her. She is burned into my memory and won't go. The stories made me feel like I was right there.

In the 1940 U.S. Census Lucius was enumerated in the household of Aunt Adeline along with her children Stanley and Nolan. Aunt Adeline graduated from Wiberforce and is the older sister of great grandfather Elmer. I forget if Nolan or Stanley worked for the Ohio Gas? Someone mentioned a record store over on Mount Vernon. Great grandmother Jessie, I believe died the same year. I have to look at her obituary.

29 April, 1963, Columbus Evening Dispatch, page 4

MINOR

Edith Luella Minor, 852 N. Pearl Street April 19. Survived by son T/SGT Lucius Paschal USAF Seville, Spain; mother Mrs. Jessie Payne; brother Robert Goins; aunt Mrs. Adeline Terrell; 7 grandchildren; cousins, including Stanley McCollum and Nolan Logan and Lloyd Goins. Friends may call at the Cosby Funeral Home, Monday 7-9 pm where service will be Tuesday, 1 pm, Internment Eastlawn Cemetery.

Aunt Edith's granddaughter told me they came to the United States when she died. I found the ship manifest to confirm what she was saying. They were coming to New York and on to Columbus to find her grave in the early 1960s.

She is buried where a good number of family members are buried in Eastlawn Cemetery.

She is not alone 


No comments: