Monday, March 04, 2019

For my Cousin Mary

The first part was written 8 to 10 years ago.

Dear Cousin Mary

I had been looking for cousin Mary T. Smith b. 1858 in Belmont County, Ohio for several years now. I lost track of her parents Wesley and Frances Goins-Smith after the 1860 Belmont County census. I found Mary in the 1870 Jefferson County, Ohio census with her Uncle Michael and Aunt Angeline Henderson-Goins. I believe Mary's father Wesley died because Frances married Granville Lynn, a gentleman of Belmont County, Ohio and they moved to Michigan and had several children.

Still I had to find what had happen to cousin Mary. I posted the little bit of information I had about her to a genealogy forum and someone spotted her in the 1870 Belmont County, Ohio census which is next door to Jefferson County where she went to live with her aunt and uncle. In the 1880 census, Mary was married to Wm. B. Wyatt and she had two small children Jno. and Sarah Wyatt. I could not find them in 1900 census so I skimmed the Belmont County Probate records and found out that Wm. B. Wyatt died of consumption 16 February, 1881. Now, I must find out what happened to Mary and her two young children.

On 3 March, 2019, I went back to my tree and started looking for cousin Mary again. Since I could not find out what happened to cousin Mary, I begin to look for her children as they aged. I clicked on Jno. or John to see if there might be new records and there where updates to Ancestry. The had him the 1920 Indiana census and that he died the same year. I don't know how he got to Indiana nor why, I was just glad to find him. I believe he married a woman named Nora Georgie. They are enumerated in the 1920 Indiana census and she is named on his death certificate with his surname. I will have to find a marriage record and try to make sure that the record that comes up on Ancestry is for his grave.

This leaves cousin Mary's daughter, Sarah. I went back to the tree, clicked on her name and asked Ancestry to perform a new search for her. They came back with "Sadie" Wyatt in Jefferson County, Ohio in the 1910 census. "Sadie" Wyatt lived with Robert and Mary Newby. Was this my cousin Mary? Yes, it was her. Remember, I spotted her husband in the Probate records in 1881. Cousin Mary was left with two small children Jno and Sarah. She remarried and had 9 more children. Robert was a teamster. I have so much to unpack with this discovery. Sarah or Sadie is my 2nd cousin 2x removed. She is also in 1900 Washington County, Pennsylvania census. I promised cousin Mary that wouldn't give up looking for her.

courtesy FamilySearch.org 

No comments: