Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Eugene's fight

4 February, 1913 The Columbus Dispatch


Sometimes I know it is difficult to believe that the Hairstons and Goins' are related and intermarried but I found an article to corroborate the story.

Eugene's father Tip was fined in North Carolina for carrying a gun. He swore, he could whip anybody.
He Had A Shotgun

Colored Man Had Dispute With His Brother-in-law and Terrorized Neighborhood.

Eugene Hairston aged 17 ( I think my great grandmother is a year or two older?), 1168 Parker Street, started a fight with his brother-in-law, Elmer Goins, over the breakfast table, Tuesday morning and when the officers arrived in the vicinity. was terrorizing the neighborhood with a shotgun. He is said to have been making trouble in that locality for about a week. He was arrested but not tried Tuesday morning because his brother-in-law didn't appear as a witness against him. His case was continued on Wednesday. Hairston is charged with having pointed a revolver at his brother-in-law and later when disarmed, have taken a shotgun and started at after him.

Don't mess with those Hairstons. Lol! I love these stories. They come in all flavors. I will always welcome stories that confirm what I know from the U.S. Censuses and marriage records

No comments: