Saturday, May 05, 2012

Still Finding family

No matter how many times I find family in the U.S. Census, I feel the same way: Excited!

This is the 1st indexed relative I have found in the 1940 U.S. Census on Ancestry.com  She lived in Washington D.C. which is one of the few places completely indexed on Ancestry.com.

It appears that Ledonia Costley, my 2nd cousin 2 times removed named one of her daughters after her grandmother Clarrissa Phillips who married Riley my 2nd great grand uncle.  I also used familysearch.org to find her marriage and she appears with her husband and two children in the newly released census. If the links are correct, I believe there is a 1997 obituary for Ledonia in Washington.  I will be writing one of the libraries to retrieve that obituary. The abstract says she lived to the age of 101. Longevity is something she shares with her brother Homer Costley who lived to 100 and died four years before his sister in D.C. 

The other family members I found came about through the use of Stephen Morse's OneStep site and the National Archives 1940 U.S. Census site. Generally, I had to look through a multitude of pages to find those families and households

No comments: